Many clients enjoy the calm, supportive atmosphere of the therapy office. Most therapy offices are relatively quiet except for pleasant sounds like the whoosh of a sound machine, soft music, or maybe the trickle of a fountain. With recent developments regarding COVID-19, many clients are switching to online therapy rather than in-person sessions. Online therapy is convenient since you can log in from the comfort of your own home. As many people working and quarantining from home have discovered, distractions abound at home which can impact our ability to focus and engage online. Here are a few tips to improve your experience and to make your online therapy sessions successful.
Create Your Own Online Therapy Space
Designate spaces for different purposes. Just as you have created a certain place for working at home or for your kids to do their schoolwork, set up a spot in your home as your online therapy space. Here are some things to consider when picking a space for therapy:
- Lighting– Make sure there is sufficient lighting in your home therapy space so that you can see your counselor and your counselor can see you. Don’t worry about looking nice, but one of the perks of online counseling is getting some form of face to face interaction via the phone or computer.
- Comfort– Sometimes we talk about difficult things during therapy, but you don’t need to feel uncomfortable due to where you’re sitting at home. Try to find a spot that feels cozy and safe. Make use of that favorite chair or use blankets to feel comfier.
- Calming environment– Many therapy offices try to exude a calm atmosphere. Place some items in your designated therapy space that can help you feel more relaxed. Perhaps situate your chair by a window so you can see the sun. Make use of nice smelling candles or use an essential oils diffuser for some at-home aromatherapy.
Increase Privacy in Your Home During Online Therapy Sessions
If you live with roommates, extended family, or children, then you may be worried about privacy. With some creativity, you can certainly have an online therapy session that is private. Here are some ideas to try:
- Use headphones– Headphones create a greater sense of privacy. Only you will be able to hear what your therapist says
- White noise– You can use a fan or even your phone to create white noise and drown out other noises in your home. Or splurge for a sound machine–you may really like to use it at other times too
- Smart scheduling– Most therapists are flexible and can work with you to find a convenient time during the day or evening to meet, especially if you are working around your child’s nap schedule or your work schedule. Your therapist will understand that there are certain times of the day when you are less likely to be interrupted.
- Step out of your home safely– Your car, your porch/patio, or even the park are good options for your online therapy sessions if you would feel more comfortable being outside your home to make sure you are not overheard. Please remember to stay safe though if you choose to go outside and to check that you have a good internet connection.
It’s natural to feel a little awkward or nervous about trying online therapy. The situation we find ourselves in is new and unsettling; we are all working together to get through it. With some creativity and technology, you can still get the support you need from a skilled therapist.
Online Therapy at Wellview Counseling in Roswell, GA
If you have any questions about making the switch to online therapy sessions, give us a call at Wellview Counseling at 678-288-6221 or email us at email@example.com, and we will give you the support you deserve. Our caring therapist will guide you through the process of getting started using telehealth. You do not have to struggle alone–we are here to help you through this.
Begin Online Therapy in Georgia:
We know that life can feel a little overwhelming right now, and attending in-person counseling in your Georgia town may not be an option. So we encourage you to consider online therapy with a Wellview therapist. To begin online therapy in Georgia, please follow these steps:
- Reach out to our Atlanta area counseling clinic to schedule an appointment for online therapy,
- Meet with one of our compassionate online therapists,
- Begin online therapy and improve your emotional well being.
Other Services offered at Wellview Counseling:
Wellview counseling, an Atlanta area mental health clinic, offers a variety of mental health services to help you or your loved one find healing and growth. Our therapy services include child counseling, play therapy, individual counseling, social skills groups for kids, therapy for postpartum anxiety and depression, trauma and PTSD treatment, chronic illness counseling, family therapy, and positive discipline parent education opportunities. In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, our therapists are practicing social distancing. Therefore, we are currently offering all our therapy services online. Contact our Rosewell, GA therapy clinic to learn more about the many ways the counselors at Wellview Counseling can help you during online therapy.
About the Author
Emily is one of the caring therapists at Wellview Counseling. If you have concerns about your social and emotional well-being, Emily would be glad to help.